This blog post will walk you through how to create a government gateway account in the quickest and most straightforward way possible.
Creating and setting up your government gateway account might seem mundane, but ensuring that it is done in the right way will allow you to manage all of your taxes and their associated details as efficiently as possible. This creates head space and reduces unnecessary stress, which meets two of the primary objectives that we constantly strive for as RJF.
We have split this guide into two sections – Creating your government gateway account, which should only be completed once (per business) and adding taxes to your government gateway account, which will need to be done a number of times depending on how many taxes that your business is registered for.
- If you have multiple businesses, create a separate government gateway account for each business so that each businesses details are held in one place
- Add and activate taxes to your government gateway account as soon as you have registered for them
- You do not need to add taxes that you are not registered for
Instructions on how to create government gateway account
- Go to HMRC’s login page.
- Click the GREEN sign in button.
- Click “Create sign in details”
- Enter your email address where asked.
- You will now be emailed a confirmation code. Use this code to confirm your email address.
- You will now be issued with a User ID for your government gateway account.
RECOMMENDED: Print this page to PDF and file it somewhere safe. The user ID is a digital string so not memorable. Losing this ID can create a lot of work in the future (not to mention if you lose it moments before a deadline you may receive a late payment penalty).
IMPORTANT: As the User ID is a digit string it is sometimes confused for your UTR or tax ID. If you are registering for a tax (such as self assessment) please not that you have not yet registered, you have only created your government gateway account. You will still need to complete another step to register with HMRC.
Once you have followed the above steps you will now have created your government gateway account.
Adding taxes to your government gateway account
Now that you have setup your government gateway account, you should need to add each tax that your business has registered for to the account.
The taxes you can add include:
- Corporation Tax
- PAYE for Employers
- VAT EC Sales List
To add a service you will need to do the following:
- From the business tax summary page, click “get online access to a tax, duty or scheme”
- Select the tax that you want to add
- Click the GREEN continue button
- Each tax will require specific information relating to that tax (UTR for Corp Tax, VAT certificate and last return filed for VAT, PAYE numbers for PAYE) so ensure that you have any associated information to hand before proceeding.
- After you have added the tax HMRC will then post an activation code to your registered office address.
- Once the code arrives, input this into the account and the tax will (finally) be added onto the account. Please note that you might have to wait 24 hours for the system to update and for it to actually show.